Whether the weather today feels like it or not, we are inching closer toward those warm spring days! Soon we will have many more reasons to want to get outside and soak up the season. No matter your age or physical abilities, there are many activities you can take part in this spring. Here’s our top ten list of spring activities to enjoy at any age!
- Arrange a Bouquet – Depending upon your loved one’s physical abilities, you can take a stroll around a park and pick wild flowers together. Or, bring some fresh flowers with you on your next visit. Spend time together arranging a beautiful bouquet to be placed in their home. Every time they see these flowers they will think of you and your time together!
- Bake a Spring Dessert – Get inspired by the fresh produce of the season and bake a springtime treat. Use can use fresh berries to garnish a cake or make sugar cookies and decorate them with flowers made out of frosting. This activity is sure to be as good on the soul as it is on the taste buds!
- Stroll a Nature Trail – Get outside together and take a stroll along a nature trail, or in any green space around you. Walk slowly and notice all the new flowers and wildlife waking up again after their long winter’s nap.
- Make Spring Decorations – You will find endless inspiration on Pinterest for spring crafts and decorations. Pick something that fits your skill level and taste in décor. Great options include wreaths, garden flags or centerpieces to make your home feel ready for spring.
- Eat Outside – When visiting your loved one, suggest you take your meal or snack outside. Enjoy time together on a park bench or picnic table. The fresh hair, spring sounds and warm sun will be the perfect combination to lift the spirits!
- Hang a Birdfeeder – Help your loved one fill and hang a birdfeeder within easy view. They will be able to continuously enjoy their feathery friends stopping by. Be sure to have ample feed on hand and help refill the feeder every time you visit.
- People Watch at a Park – Get out to a local park and find a warm and sunny spot to sit for a while. Enjoy watching people pass by and children play. You can even turn it into a game of counting people, birds, dogs or anything else!
- Plant a Herb Garden – Maintaining a large outside garden is not reasonable for most seniors, but an inside herb garden is perfect! It’s easy to maintain these little potted plants and they are very easy to harvest whenever you need them to add some flavor to a dish.
- Take Your Visits to the Porch – Suggest sitting on the porch to talk or play games. Even if it’s raining outside, you will still enjoy all the sights and sounds of nature that you would otherwise miss inside.
- Press Flowers – Another creative way to make use of those fresh spring flowers is to press them between two sheets of wax paper. Carefully lay out each flower and firmly press. For best results, press them overnight under a heavy object like a book. Once flattened, you can use them to make a bookmark, decorate a card or anything else to add a little touch of spring!
Share the spring activities you plan to partake in this this year. How will you include your aging loved one in these activities? Join in the conversation by leaving a comment below!